18 Ağustos 2013 Pazar

The Most Beautiful Woman in Town / Charles Bukowski

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN TOWN

Cass was the youngest and most beautiful of 5 sisters. Cass was the most beautiful girl in town. 1/2 Indian with a supple and strange body, a snake-like and fiery body with eyes to go with it. Cass was fluid moving fire. She was like a spirit stuck into a form that would not hold her. Her hair was black and long and silken and whirled about as did her body. Her spirit was either very high or very low. There was no in between for Cass. Some said she was crazy. The dull ones said that. The dull ones would never understand Cass. To the men she was simply a sex machine and they didn't care whether she was crazy or not. And Cass danced and flirted, kissed the men, but except for an instance or two, when it came time to make it with Cass, Cass had somehow slipped away, eluded the men.

Her sisters accused her of misusing her beauty, of not using her mind enough, but Cass had mind and spirit; she painted, she danced, she sang, she made things of clay, and when people were hurt either in the spirit or the flesh, Cass felt a deep grieving for them. Her mind was simply different; her mind was simply not practical. Her sisters were jealous of her because she attracted their men, and they were angry because they felt she didn't make the best use of them. She had a habit of being kind to the uglier ones; the so-called handsome men revolted her- "No guts," she said, "no zap. They are riding on their perfect little earlobes and well- shaped nostrils...all surface and no insides..." She had a temper that came close to insanity, she had a temper that some call insanity. Her father had died of alcohol and her mother had run off leaving the girls alone. The girls went to a relative who placed them in a convent. The convent had been an unhappy place, more for Cass than the sisters. The girls were jealous of Cass and Cass fought most of them. She had razor marks all along her left arm from defending herself in two fights. There was also a permanent scar along the left cheek but the scar rather than lessening her beauty only seemed to highlight it. I met her at the West End Bar several nights after her release from the convent. Being youngest, she was the last of the sisters to be released. She simply came in and sat next to me. I was probably the ugliest man in town and this might have had something to do with it.

"Drink?" I asked.

"Sure, why not?"

I don't suppose there was anything unusual in our conversation that night, it was simply in the feeling Cass gave. She had chosen me and it was as simple as that. No pressure. She liked her drinks and had a great number of them. She didn't seem quite of age but they served he anyhow. Perhaps she had forged i.d., I don't know. Anyhow, each time she came back from the restroom and sat down next to me, I did feel some pride. She was not only the most beautiful woman in town but also one of the most beautiful I had ever seen. I placed my arm about her waist and kissed her once.

"Do you think I'm pretty?" she asked.

"Yes, of course, but there's something else... there's more than your looks..."

"People are always accusing me of being pretty. Do you really think I'm pretty?"

"Pretty isn't the word, it hardly does you fair."

Cass reached into her handbag. I thought she was reaching for her handkerchief. She came out with a long hatpin. Before I could stop her she had run this long hatpin through her nose, sideways, just above the nostrils. I felt disgust and horror. She looked at me and laughed, "Now do you think me pretty? What do you think now, man?" I pulled the hatpin out and held my handkerchief over the bleeding. Several people, including the bartender, had seen the act. The bartender came down:

"Look," he said to Cass, "you act up again and you're out. We don't need your dramatics here."

"Oh, fuck you, man!" she said.

"Better keep her straight," the bartender said to me.

"She'll be all right," I said.

"It's my nose, I can do what I want with my nose."

"No," I said, "it hurts me."

"You mean it hurts you when I stick a pin in my nose?"

"Yes, it does, I mean it."

"All right, I won't do it again. Cheer up."

She kissed me, rather grinning through the kiss and holding the handkerchief to her nose. We left for my place at closing time. I had some beer and we sat there talking. It was then that I got the perception of her as a person full of kindness and caring. She gave herself away without knowing it. At the same time she would leap back into areas of wildness and incoherence. Schitzi. A beautiful and spiritual schitzi. Perhaps some man, something, would ruin her forever. I hoped that it wouldn't be me. We went to bed and after I turned out the lights Cass asked me,

"When do you want it? Now or in the morning?"

"In the morning," I said and turned my back.

In the morning I got up and made a couple of coffees, brought her one in bed. She laughed.

"You're the first man who has turned it down at night."

"It's o.k.," I said, "we needn't do it at all."

"No, wait, I want to now. Let me freshen up a bit."

Cass went into the bathroom. She came out shortly, looking quite wonderful, her long black hair glistening, her eyes and lips glistening, her glistening... She displayed her body calmly, as a good thing. She got under the sheet.

"Come on, lover man."

I got in. She kissed with abandon but without haste. I let my hands run over her body, through her hair. I mounted. It was hot, and tight. I began to stroke slowly, wanting to make it last. Her eyes looked directly into mine.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"What the hell difference does it make?" she asked.

I laughed and went on ahead. Afterwards she dressed and I drove her back to the bar but she was difficult to forget. I wasn't working and I slept until 2 p.m. then got up and read the paper. I was in the bathtub when she came in with a large leaf- an elephant ear.

"I knew you'd be in the bathtub," she said, "so I brought you something to cover that thing with, nature boy."

She threw the elephant leaf down on me in the bathtub.

"How did you know I'd be in the tub?"

"I knew."

Almost every day Cass arrived when I was in the tub. The times were different but she seldom missed, and there was the elephant leaf. And then we'd make love. One or two nights she phoned and I had to bail her out of jail for drunkenness and fighting.

"These sons of bitches," she said, "just because they buy you a few drinks they think they can get into your pants."

"Once you accept a drink you create your own trouble."

"I thought they were interested in me, not just my body."

"I'm interested in you and your body. I doubt, though, that most men can see beyond your body."

I left town for 6 months, bummed around, came back. I had never forgotten Cass, but we'd had some type of argument and I felt like moving anyhow, and when I got back i figured she'd be gone, but I had been sitting in the West End Bar about 30 minutes when she walked in and sat down next to me.

"Well, bastard, I see you've come back."

"Well, bastard, I see you've come back."

I ordered her a drink. Then I looked at her. She had on a high- necked dress. I had never seen her in one of those. And under each eye, driven in, were 2 pins with glass heads. All you could see were the heads of the pins, but the pins were driven down into her face.

"God damn you, still trying to destroy your beauty, eh?"

"No, it's the fad, you fool."

"You're crazy."

"I've missed you," she said.

"Is there anybody else?"

"No there isn't anybody else. Just you. But I'm hustling. It costs ten bucks. But you get it free."

"Pull those pins out."

"No, it's the fad."

"It's making me very unhappy."

"Are you sure?"

"Hell yes, I'm sure."

Cass slowly pulled the pins out and put them back in her purse.

"Why do you haggle your beauty?" I asked. "Why don't you just live with it?"

"Because people think it's all I have. Beauty is nothing, beauty won't stay. You don't know how lucky you are to be ugly, because if people like you you know it's for something else."

"O.k.," I said, "I'm lucky."

"I don't mean you're ugly. People just think you're ugly. You have a fascinating face."

"Thanks."

We had another drink.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Nothing. I can't get on to anything. No interest."

"Me neither. If you were a woman you could hustle."

"I don't think I could ever make contact with that many strangers, it's wearing."

"You're right, it's wearing, everything is wearing."

We left together. People still stared at Cass on the streets. She was a beautiful woman, perhaps more beautiful than ever. We made it to my place and I opened a bottle of wine and we talked. With Cass and I, it always came easy. She talked a while and I would listen and then i would talk. Our conversation simply went along without strain. We seemed to discover secrets together. When we discovered a good one Cass would laugh that laugh- only the way she could. It was like joy out of fire. Through the talking we kissed and moved closer together. We became quite heated and decided to go to bed. It was then that Cass took off her high -necked dress and I saw it- the ugly jagged scar across her throat. It was large and thick.

"God damn you, woman," I said from the bed, "god damn you, what have you done?

"I tried it with a broken bottle one night. Don't you like me any more? Am I still beautiful?"

I pulled her down on the bed and kissed her. She pushed away and laughed, "Some men pay me ten and I undress and they don't want to do it. I keep the ten. It's very funny."

"Yes," I said, "I can't stop laughing... Cass, bitch, I love you...stop destroying yourself; you're the most alive woman I've ever met."

We kissed again. Cass was crying without sound. I could feel the tears. The long black hair lay beside me like a flag of death. We enjoined and made slow and somber and wonderful love. In the morning Cass was up making breakfast. She seemed quite calm and happy. She was singing. I stayed in bed and enjoyed her happiness. Finally she came over and shook me,

"Up, bastard! Throw some cold water on your face and pecker and come enjoy the feast!"

I drove her to the beach that day. It was a weekday and not yet summer so things were splendidly deserted. Beach bums in rags slept on the lawns above the sand. Others sat on stone benches sharing a lone bottle. The gulls whirled about, mindless yet distracted. Old ladies in their 70's and 80's sat on the benches and discussed selling real estate left behind by husbands long ago killed by the pace and stupidity of survival. For it all, there was peace in the air and we walked about and stretched on the lawns and didn't say much. It simply felt good being together. I bought a couple of sandwiches, some chips and drinks and we sat on the sand eating. Then I held Cass and we slept together about an hour. It was somehow better than lovemaking. There was flowing together without tension. When we awakened we drove back to my place and I cooked a dinner. After dinner I suggested to Cass that we shack together. She waited a long time, looking at me, then she slowly said, "No." I drove her back to the bar, bought her a drink and walked out. I found a job as a parker in a factory the next day and the rest of the week went to working. I was too tired to get about much but that Friday night I did get to the West End Bar. I sat and waited for Cass. Hours went by . After I was fairly drunk the bartender said to me, "I'm sorry about your girlfriend."

"What is it?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, didn't you know?"

"No."

"Suicide. She was buried yesterday."

"Buried?" I asked. It seemed as though she would walk through the doorway at any moment. How could she be gone?

"Her sisters buried her."

"A suicide? Mind telling me how?"

"She cut her throat."

"I see. Give me another drink."

I drank until closing time. Cass was the most beautiful of 5 sisters, the most beautiful in town. I managed to drive to my place and I kept thinking, I should have insisted she stay with me instead of accepting that "no." Everything about her had indicated that she had cared. I simply had been too offhand about it, lazy, too unconcerned. I deserved my death and hers. I was a dog. No, why blame the dogs? I got up and found a bottle of wine and drank from it heavily. Cass the most beautiful girl in town was dead at 20.

Outside somebody honked their automobile horn. They were very loud and persistent. I sat the bottle down and screamed out: "GOD DAMN YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH ,SHUT UP!"

The night kept coming and there was nothing I could do.

Charles Bukowski





LA CHICA MAS GUAPA DE LA CIUDAD

Cass era la más joven y la más guapa de cinco hermanas. Cass era la chica más guapa de la ciudad. Medio india, con un cuerpo flexible y extraño, un cuerpo fiero y serpentino y ojos a juego. Cass era fuego móvil y fluido. Era como un espíritu embutido en una forma incapaz de contenerlo. Su pelo era negro y largo y sedoso y se movía y se retorcía igual que su cuerpo. Cass estaba siempre muy alegre o muy deprimida. Para ella no había término medio. Algunos decía que estaba loca. Lo decían los tontos. Los tontos no podían entender a Cass. A los hombres les parecía simplemente una maquina sexual y no se preocupaban de si estaba loca o no. Y Cass bailaba y coqueteaba y besaba a los hombres pero, salvo un caso o dos, cuando llegaba la hora de hacerlo, Cass se evadía de algún modo, los eludía.

Sus hermanas la acusaban de desperdiciar su belleza, de no utilizar lo bastante su inteligencia, pero Cass poseía inteligencia y espíritu; pintaba, bailaba, cantaba, hacía objetos de arcilla, y cuando la gente estaba herida, en el espíritu o en la carne, a Cass le daba una pena tremenda. Su mente era distinta y nada más; sencillamente, no era práctica. Sus hermanas la envidiaban porque atraía a sus hombres, y andaban rabiosísimas porque creían que no se sacaba todo el partido posible. Tenía la costumbre de ser buena y amable con los feos; los hombres considerados guapos le repugnaban: “No tienen agallas -decía ella-. No tienen nervio. Confían siempre en sus orejitas perfectas y en sus narices torneadas… todo fachada y nada dentro…” Tenía un carácter rayando la locura; un carácter que algunos calificaban de locura.

Su padre había muerto del alcohol y su madre se había largado dejando solas a las chicas. Las chicas se fueron con una pariente que las metió en un colegio de monjas. El colegio había sido un lugar triste, más para Cass que para sus hermanas. Las chicas envidaban a Cass y Cass se peleó con casi todas. Tenía señales de cuchilladas por todo el brazo izquierdo, de defenderse en dos peleas. Tenía también una cicatriz imborrable que le cruzaba la mejilla izquierda; pero la cicatriz, en vez de disminuir su belleza, parecía por el contrarío, realzarla.

Yo la conocí en el bar West End unas noches después de que la soltaran del convento. Al ser la más joven, fue la última hermana que soltaron. Sencillamente entró y se sentó a mi lado. Yo quizá sea el hombre más feo de la ciudad, y puede que esto tuviera algo que ver con el asunto.

- ¿Tomas algo?

- Claro, ¿Por qué no?

No creo que hubiese nada especial en nuestra conversación esa noche, era sólo el sentimiento que Cass transmitía. Me había elegido y no había más. Ninguna presión. Le gustó la bebida y bebió mucho. No parecía tener edad, pero de todos modos le sirvieron. Quizás hubiese falsificado el carnet de identidad, no sé. En fin, lo cierto es que cada vez que volvía del retrete y se sentaba a mi lado yo sentía cierto orgullo. No sólo era la mujer más bella de la ciudad, sino también una de las más bellas que yo había visto en mi vida. Le eché el brazo a la cintura y la besé una vez.

- ¿Crees que soy bonita?- preguntó.

- Sí, desde luego. Pero hay algo más… algo más que tu apariencia…

- La gente anda siempre acusándome de ser bonita. ¿Crees de veras que soy bonita?

- Bonita no es la palabra, no te hace justicia.

Buscó en su bolso. Creía que buscaba el pañuelo. Sacó un alfiler de sombrero muy largo. Antes de que pudiese impedírselo, se había atravesado la nariz con él, de lado a lado, justo sobre las ventanillas. Sentía repugnancia y horror.

Ella me miró y se echó a reír.

- ¿Crees ahora que soy bonita? ¿Qué piensas ahora, eh?

Saqué el alfiler y puse mi pañuelo sobre la herida. Algunas personas, incluido el encargado, habían observado la escena. El encargado se acercó.

- Mira -dijo a Cass-, si vuelves a hacer eso te echo. Aquí no necesitamos tus exhibiciones.

- ¡Vete a la mierda, amigo! -dijo ella.

- Será mejor que la controles -me dijo el encargado.

- No te preocupes -dije yo.

- Es mi nariz -dijo Cass-, puedo hacer lo que quiera con ella

- No -dije-, a mí me duele.

- ¿Quieres decir que te duele a ti cuando me clavo un alfiler en la nariz?

- Sí, me duele, de veras.

- De acuerdo, no lo volveré a hacer. Ánimo.

Me besó, pero como riéndose un poco en medio del beso y sin soltar el pañuelo de la nariz. Cuando cerraron nos fuimos a donde yo vivía. Tenía un poco de cerveza y nos sentamos a charlar. Fue entonces cuando pude apreciar que era una persona que rebosaba bondad y cariño. Se entregaba sin saberlo. Al mismo tiempo, retrocedía a zonas de descontrol e incoherencia. Esquizoide. Una esquizo hermosa y espiritual. Quizás algún hombre, algo acabase destruyéndola para siempre. Esperaba no ser yo.

Nos fuimos a la cama y cuando apagué las luces me preguntó:

- ¿Cuándo quieres hacerlo, ahora o por la mañana?

- Por la mañana -dije, y me di la vuelta.

Por la mañana me levanté, hice un par de cafés y le llevé uno a la cama.

Se echó a reír.

- Eres el primer hombre que conozco que no ha querido hacerlo por la noche.

- No hay problema -dije-. En realidad no tenemos por que hacerlo.

- No, espera, ahora quiero yo. Déjame que me refresque un poco.

Se fue al baño. Salió enseguida, realmente maravillosa, largo pelo negro resplandeciente, ojos y labios resplandecientes, toda resplandor… Se desperezó sosegadamente, buena cosa. Se metió en la cama.

- Ven, amor.

Fui.

Besaba con abandono, pero sin prisa. Dejé que mis manos recorriesen su cuerpo. Acariciasen su pelo. La monté. Su carne era cálida y prieta. Empecé a moverme despacio y queriendo que durara. Ella me miraba a los ojos.

- ¿Cómo te llamas? -pregunté.

- ¿Qué diablos importa? -preguntó ella.

Solté una carcajada y seguí. Después se vistió y la llevé en coche al bar, pero era difícil olvidarla. Yo no trabajaba y dormí hasta las dos y luego me levanté y leí el periódico. Cuando estaba en la bañera, entro ella con una hoja: una oreja de elefante.

- Sabía que estabas en la bañera -dijo-, así que te traje algo para tapar esa cosa, hijo de la naturaleza.

Y me echó encima, en la bañera, la hoja de elefante.

- ¿Cómo sabías que estaba en la bañera?

- Lo sabía.

Cass llegaba casi todos los días cuando yo estaba en la bañera. No era siempre la misma hora, pero raras veces fallaba, y traía la hoja de elefante. Y luego hacíamos el amor.

Telefoneó una o dos noches y tuve que sacarla de la cárcel por borrachera y pelea pagando la fianza.

- Esos hijos de puta – decía-, sólo porque te pagan unas copas creen que pueden echarte mano a las bragas.

- La culpa la tienes tú por aceptar la copa

- Yo creía que se interesaba por mí, no sólo por mi cuerpo.

- A mí me interesas tú y tu cuerpo. Pero dudo que la mayoría de los hombres puedan ver más allá de tu cuerpo.

Dejé la ciudad y estuve fuera seis meses, anduve vagabundeando; volví. No había olvidado a Cass ni un momento, pero habíamos tenido algún tipo de discusión y además yo tenía ganas de ponerme en marcha, y cuando volví pensé que se habría ido; pero no llevaba sentado treinta minutos en el West End cuando ella llegó y se sentó a mi lado.

- Vaya, cabrón, has vuelto.

Pedí un trago para ella. Luego la miré. Llevaba un vestido de cuello alto. Nuca la había visto así. Y debajo de cada ojo, clavado, llevaba un alfiler de cabeza de cristal. Sólo se podían ver las cabezas de los alfileres, pero los alfileres estaban clavados.

- Maldita sea, aún sigues intentando destruir tu belleza….

- No, no seas tonto, es la moda.

- Estas chiflada.

- Te he echado de menos -dijo

- ¿Hay otro?

- No, no hay ninguno. Solo tú. Pero ahora hago la vida. Cobro diez billetes. Pero para ti es gratis.

- Sácate esos alfileres.

- No, es la moda.

- Me hace muy desgraciado.

- ¿Estás seguro?

- Sí, mierda, estoy seguro.

Se sacó lentamente los alfileres y los guardo en el bolso.

- Porque la gente cree que es todo lo que tengo. La belleza no es nada. La belleza no permanece. No sabes la suerte que tienes siendo feo, porque si le agradas a alguien sabes que es por otra cosa.

- Vale -dije-, tengo mucha suerte.

- No quiero decir que seas feo. Sólo que la gente cree que lo eres. Tienes una cara fascinante.

- Gracias.

Tomamos otra copa.

- ¿Qué andas haciendo? -preguntó.

- Nada. No soy capaz de apegarme a nada. Nada me interesa.

- A mí tampoco. Si fueses mujer podrías ser puta.

- No creo que quisiera establecer un contacto tan íntimo con tantos extraños. Debe ser un fastidio.

- Tienes razón, es fastidioso, todo es fastidioso.

Salimos juntos, por la calle, la gente aún miraba a Cass. Aún era una mujer hermosa, quizá más que nunca.

Fuimos a casa y abrí una botella de vino y hablamos. A Cass y a mí, siempre nos era fácil hablar. Ella hablaba un rato yo escuchaba y luego hablaba yo. Nuestra conversación fluía fácil sin tensión. Era como si descubriésemos secretos juntos. Cuando descubríamos uno bueno, Cass se reía con aquella risa…, de aquella manera que sólo ella podía reírse. Era como el gozo del fuego. Y durante la charla nos besábamos y nos arrimábamos. Nos pusimos muy calientes y decidimos irnos a la cama. Fue entonces cuando Cass se quito aquel vestido del cuello alto y lo vi… Vi la mellada y horrible cicatriz que le cruzaba el cuello. Era grande y ancha.

- Maldita sea, condenada, ¿Qué has hecho? -dije desde la cama

- Lo intenté con una botella rota una noche. ¿Ya no te gusto? ¿Soy bonita aún?

La arrastré a la cama y la besé. Me empujo y se echo a reír:

- Algunos me pagan los diez y luego, cuando me desvisto no quieren hacerlo. Yo me quedo los diez. Es muy divertido.

- Sí -dije-, no puedo parar de reír… Cass, zorra, te amo… deja de destruirte; eres la mujer con más vida que conozco.

Volvimos a besarnos. Cass lloraba en silencio. Sentí las lágrimas. Sentí aquel pelo largo y negro tendido bajo mí como una bandera de muerte. Disfrutamos e hicimos un amor lento y sombrío y maravilloso.

Por la mañana, Cass estaba levantada haciendo el desayuno. Parecía muy tranquila y feliz. Cantaba. Yo me quedé en la cama gozando su felicidad. Por fin, vino y me zarandeó.

- ¡Arriba, cabrón! ¡Chapúzate con agua fría la cara y la polla y ven a disfrutar del banquete!

Ese día la llevé en coche a la playa. No era un día de fiesta y aún no era verano, todo estaba espléndidamente desierto. Vagabundos playeros en andrajos dormían en la arena. Había otros sentados en bancos de piedra compartiendo una botella solitaria. Las gaviotas revoloteaban, estúpidas pero distraídas. Ancianas de setenta y ochenta, sentadas en los bancos, discutiendo ventas de fincas dejadas por maridos asesinados mucho tiempo atrás por la angustia y la estupidez de la supervivencia. Había paz en el aire y paseamos y estuvimos tumbados por allí y no hablamos muchos. Era agradable simplemente estar juntos. Compré bocadillos, patatas fritas y bebidas y nos sentamos a beber en la arena. Luego abracé a Cass y dormimos así abrazados un rato. Era mejor que hacer el amor. Era como fluir juntos sin tensión. Luego volvimos a casa en mi coche y preparé la cena. Después de cenar, sugerí a Cass que viviésemos juntos. Se quedó mucho rato mirándome y luego dijo lentamente “NO”. La llevé de nuevo al bar, le pagué una copa y me fui.

Al día siguiente, encontré un trabajo como empaquetador en una fabrica y trabajé todo lo que quedaba de semana. Estaba demasiado cansado para andar mucho por ahí, pero el viernes por la noche me acerqué al West End. Me senté y esperé a Cass. Pasaron horas. Cuando estaba ya bastante borracho, me vio el encargado.

- Siento lo de tu amiga.

- ¿El qué? -pregunté.

- Lo siento. ¿No lo sabías?

- No

- Suicidio, la enterraron ayer.

- ¿Enterrada? -pregunté. Parecía como si fuese a aparecer en la puerta de un momento a otro. ¿Cómo podía haber muerto?

- La enterraron las hermanas

- ¿Un suicidio? ¿Cómo fue?

- Se cortó el cuello.

- Ya. Dame otro trago.

Estuve bebiendo allí hasta que cerraron. Cass, la más bella de las cinco hermanas, la chica más guapa de la ciudad. Conseguí conducir hasta casa sin poder dejar de pensar que debería haber insistido en que se quedara conmigo en vez de aceptar aquel "NO". Todo en ella había indicado que le pasaba algo. Yo sencillamente había sido demasiado insensible, demasiado despreocupado. Me merecía mi muerte y la de ella. Era un perro. No, ¿por qué acusar a los perros? Me levanté, busqué una botella de vino, bebí lúgubremente. Cass, la chica más guapa de la ciudad muerta a los veinte años.

Fuera, alguien tocaba la bocina de un coche. Unos bocinazos escandalosos, persistentes. Dejé la botella y aullé "¡MALDITO SEAS, CONDENADO HIJO DE PUTA, CALLATE YA!".

Y seguía avanzando la noche y yo nada podía hacer.

Charles Bukowski





KASABANIN EN GÜZEL KIZI

Cass, beş kızkardeşinin en küçüğü ve en güzeliydi. Kasabanın en güzel kızıydı Cass. Yarı Kızılderili. Esnek ve tuhaf bir vücudu vardı, yılanvari ve şehvetli; gözleri ise vücudu ile son derece uyumlu. Sıvı halinde akan bir ateşti. Girdiği şekle sığmayan bir ruh.Uzun, parlak, ipek gibi saçları her hareket ettiğinde sağa sola dalgalanıyordu. Ya çok neşeliydi ya da hüzünlü. Arası yoktu Cass’ta. Onun için deli diyenler vardı. İçi ölmüş olanlar. Onlar anlayamazlardı. Erkeklerin umurunda değildi deli olup olmadığı. Bir seks makinesiydi Cass onların gözünde. Cass onlarla dans eder, flört eder, ama bir iki istisna dışında iş yatmaya gelince bir yolunu bulup başından savardı.

Kızkardeşleri onu güzelliğinden yararlanmamakla, aklını yeterince kullanmamakla suçlarlardı. Oysa hem akıl vardı Cass’ta hem de ruh. Resim yapar, dans eder, şarkı söyler, alçıdan heykelcikler yapar, birileri ruhen ya da bedenen incindiğinde içinde duyardı acılarını. Pratik bir zekası yoktu işte, farklı çalışırdı beyni. Kızkardeşleri önce onu kendi sevgililerini cezbettiği için kıskanırlar, sonra da sevgililerinden yararlanmadığı için kızarlardı. Çirkin erkeklere müşfik davranır, yakışıklı erkeklerden iğrenirdi. "Hayat yok onlarda." derdi."Mükemmel kulaklarından ve burunlarından başka bir bok düşünmezler. Yüzeyseldirler. İçleri yoktur..."

Deliliğe yakın bir mizacı vardı, mizacına delilik diyenler de.

Babası alkolden ölmüş, annesi başkası ile kaçıp kızları kaderlerine terketmişti. Kızlar önce bir akrabalarının yanına sığınmış, akraba da onları bir manastıra yerleştirmişti. Manastır berbat bir yerdi. Özellikle Cass için. Diğer kızlar onu kıskanmış, kızların hemen hepsi ile dövüşmüştü. Sol kolu baştan aşağı jilet izleri ile kaplıydı. Sol yanağında da bir iz vardı, ama bu onu daha da güzelleştiriyordu. Manastırdan ayrıldığının ertesi günü Batı Yakası Barı’nda tanıdım onu. En küçükleri olduğu için kızkardeşlerinden sonra ayrılmıştı manastırdan. Tek kelime etmeden gelip yanıma oturdu. Kasabanın en çirkin adamıydım; bu yüzden seçmişti beni belki de.

"İçki?" diye sordum.

"Tabii, neden olmasın?"

Kayda değer fazla bir şey yoktu konuşmalarımızda. Öyle bir havası vardı Cass’ın. Beni seçmişti, o kadar basitti onun için. Rahattı. İçkiyi seviyor, fazlaca içiyordu. Yaşı tutmadığı halde bara girmeyi başarmıştı. Sahte bir kimliği vardı belki de, bilmiyorum. Her neyse, her tuvaletten dönüp yanıma oturduğunda erkeklik gururum kabarıyordu. Sadece kasabanın değil, ömrümde gördüğüm en güzel kadınlardan biriydi. Kolumu beline dolayıp öptüm onu.

"Güzel buluyor musun beni?" diye sordu.

"Evet, ama başka bir şey var sende...görünümünle ilgili değil."

"İnsanlar beni güzel olmakla suçluyorlar, gerçekten güzel miyim sence?"

"Güzel sözcüğü yeterli değil."

Cass elini çantasına soktu. Mendilini alacağını sandım. Uzun bir saç iğnesi çıkardı. Davranmama fırsat tanımadan iğneyi yandan burnuna geçirdi, burun deliğinin hemen üstünden. Korku ile karışık bir bulantı hissettim. Bana bakıp güldü.

"Hala güzel buluyormusun beni?"

İğneyi çekip mendilimi kanayan burnuna tuttum. Barmen ve çevredekiler yediği haltı görmüşlerdi. Barmen yanımıza geldi.

"Bana bak," dedi Cass’a, "bir daha sapıtırsan kendini dışarda bulursun. senin oyunlarına ihtiyacımız yok!"

"Siktir git,lan!" dedi Cass.

"Ona hakim ol," dedi barmen bana.

"Sorun yok," dedim.

"Burun benim, ne istersem yaparım burnuma," dedi Cass.

"Yapma," dedim. "Canım yandı."

"Ben burnuma iğne sokunca senin canın mı yanıyor?"

"Evet. Gerçekten."

"Peki, bir daha yapmam. Neşelen biraz."

Öptü beni gülerek. Bir eliyle de mendili burnuna bastırıyordu. Bar kapanınca kaldığım eve gittik. Bira içip sohbet ettik. Sıcak ve sevecen olduğunu işte o zaman sezmeye başladım. Farkında olmaksızın sunuyordu kendini. Yine de bazen vahşi, tutarsız bir tavır takınıyordu. Schitzi. Harikulade, ruhani, kutsal bir Schitzi’ydi. Deyyusun biri günün birinde sonsuza dek mahvedecekti onu. Ben olmam inşallah, diye geçirdim içimden.

Yatağa girdik. Işığı söndürdükten sonra, "Şimdi mi istersin, yoksa sabah mı ?" diye sordu.

"Sabah," dedim ve sırtımı döndüm.

Sabah kalkıp kahve yaptım, yatağa getirdim.

Güldü. "Geceyi pas geçen ilk erkeksin," dedi.

"Boş ver," dedim. "Hiç olmasa da olur."

"Hayır," dedi. "İstiyorum. Bekle, biraz tazeleneyim."

Banyoya girdi Cass. Kısa bir süre sonra döndüğünde soluğumu kesti; uzun siyah saçları, ağzı, gözleri, her yeri pırıl pırıldı... Rahat bir tavırla sergiledi vücudunu, iyi bir şeyi sergiler gibi. Yatağa girdi.

"Hadi gel, sevgilim."

Yanına uzandım.

Kendini vererek ama telaşsız öpüşüyordu. Ellerimi teninde, saçlarında gezdirdim. Birleştik. Sıcak ve dardı. Sevişmeyi uzatmak için ağır bir tempo tutturdum. Gözlerimin içine bakıyordu.

"Adın ne?" diye sordum.

"Ne fark eder?" dedi.

Güldüm ve devam ettim. Giyindikten sonra onu arabamla barın kapısına bıraktım, ama zordu onu unutmak. işsizdim o sıralar, öğlen ikide uyandım, sonra kalkıp gazeteyi okudum. Elinde kocaman bir incir yaprağı ile geldiğinde küvete gömülmüştüm.

"Biliyordum küvette olacağını," dedi, "bu yüzden şeyini örtmen için incir yaprağı getirdim sana."

Yaprağı suyun üstüne bıraktı.

"Nereden bildin küvette olacağımı?"

"Ben bilirim."

Her gün ben küvetteyken geliyordu. Değişik saatlerde banyo yapmama rağmen. Yaprağı da unutmuyordu. Sonra sevişiyorduk.

Birkaç kez telefon etti. Bir gece sarhoşluktan ve çevreye rahatsızlık vermekten tutuklandı, kefaletini ödeyip onu çıkarmak zorunda kaldım.

"Orospu çocukları," dedi "birkaç içki ısmarladıkları için donuma girebileceklerini sanıyorlar."

"Sana içki ısmarlamalarına izin verdiğin an başına belayı sarıyorsun."

"Sadece vücudumla değil, benimle de ilgilendiklerini sanıyorum."

"Ben seninle ve vücudunla ilgileniyorum. Vücudunu aşıp seni keşfedecek erkeklerin sayısının çok olduğunu sanmıyorum ama."

Altı ay uzak kaldım kentten, eyalet eyalet dolaşıp aylaklık ettikten sonra döndüm. Gitmeden önce Cass’la tartışmıştık gerçi, ama ayaklarım karıncalanmaya başlamıştı zaten, hem döndüğümde onu bulamayacağımdan emindim. Batı Yakası’na girip bir içki söyledim, yarım saat sonra içeri girip yanıma oturdu.

"Döndün demek, it?"

Bir içki söyledim ona. Boynuna kadar kapalı bir elbise vardı üstünde. Böyle giyindiğine tanık olmamıştım daha önce. Gözlerinin altına başları camdan iki toplu iğne saplamıştı. Sadece başları görünüyordu toplu iğnelerin.

"Allah seni kahretsin!" dedim, "Hala güzelliğine zarar vermeye çalışıyorsun."

"Yok canım, moda bu," dedi.

"Delisin."

"Özledim seni," dedi.

"Başkası var mı?"

"Hayır, sadece sen. Çalışıyorum ama. Ücretim on dolar. Sana bedava."

"Çıkar şu toplu iğneleri."

"Hayır, çok moda."

"Üzüyorsun beni."

"Emin misin?"

"Lanet olsun, eminim."

"Güzelliğinle neden uğraşıyorsun? Kabullensene?"

"Başka bir şey gördükleri yok da ondan. Bir bok değil güzellik. Uçar gider. Çirkin olduğun için talihlisin. Biri seninle ilgilendiğinde başka bir şey için olmadığını biliyorsun."

"Pekala," dedim. "Talihliyim."

"Çirkin olduğunu ima etmek istemedim. Başkaları için çirkin olabilirsin. Harikulade bir yüzün var aslında."

"Teşekkür ederim."

Birer içki daha içtik.

"Neler yapıyorsun?" diye sordu.

"Hiç. Bir bok yapmak gelmiyor içimden. İstek duymuyorum."

"Ben de. Kadın olsaydın kendini satardın."

"Bir sürü yabancı ile o denli yakın ilişki içinde olmak istemezdim. Yılardım."

"Haklısın. Yıldırıcı, her şey çok yıldırıcı."

Birlikte çıktık bardan. Sokakta yanımızdan geçenler Cass’a bakıyorlardı. Hala çok güzeldi, her zamankinden daha güzel belki de.

Evime gittik. Bir şişe şarap açıp sohbet ettik. O anlattı ben dinledim, sonra ben anlattım. Akıcı ve rahat bir sohbet. Kendi sırlarımızı yaratıyorduk. İyi bir sır yakaladığımızda o eşsiz gülümseme beliriyordu yüzünde. Sadece o gülebilirdi öyle. Alev coşkusu. Konuşurken zaman zaman birbirimize sokulup gülüşüyorduk. O gece arzulanıp yatağa girdik. Elbisesini çıkardığında boynundaki o korkunç yarayı gördüm. Geniş ve uzundu.

"Allah senin belanı versin kadın!" diye bağırdım yataktan. "Allah canını alsın, ne yaptın?"

"Bir gece kırık şişe ile denedim. Beni beğenmiyor musun artık? Beni güzel bulmuyor musun?"

Yatağa çekip öptüm onu. Beni ittikten sonra güldü. "Bazı müşteriler on doları verdikten sonra yarayı görüp vazgeçiyorlar. Onluk ben de kalıyor. Matrak değil mi?"

"Evet,çok matrak," dedim, "gülmekten kırılacağım... Cass, deli kancık, seviyorum seni. Kendine zarar vermekten vazgeç; hayatımda senin kadar hayat dolu bir kadın tanımadım."

Yine öpüştük. Sessizce ağlıyordu. Gözyaşlarını duydum. Siyah saçları ölüm bayrağı gibi yayılmıştı yatağa. Ağır, duygulu, güzel bir sevişme tutturduk.

Sabah Cass kalkıp kahvaltı hazırladı. Huzurlu, mutlu görünüyordu. Bir şarkı mırıldandı. Yatakta kalıp onu seyrettim. Sonra gelip beni sarstı. "Kalk artık, domuz! Yüzüne ve çüküne soğuk su serp, sonra da kahvaltıya gel."

Sahile götürdüm onu o gün. Yaz henüz yeni başlamıştı, hafta sonuydu, tenhaydı sahil. Harikuladeydi. Berduşlar paçavraları ile kuma uzanmışlardı. Bazıları taş banklara oturmuş şişeyi paylaşıyorlardı. Martılar telaşsız ve aptal uçuşlarındaydılar. Yetmişlik-seksenlik karılar kocaları öldükten sonra kendilerine kalacak evleri satıp satmamayı tartışıyorlardı. Her şeye rağmen huzur vardı havada. Denize doğru yürüdük. Çok az konuşarak. Mutluyduk birlikte. İki sandviç, biraz cips ve içecek bir şeyler aldım. Kuma uzanıp atıştırdık. Birbirimize sarılıp uyuduk bir süre. Sevişmekten bile güzeldi sanki. Gerilimsiz bir birlikte akış. Uyandıktan bir süre sonra eve döndük. Yemek pişirdim. Yemekten sonra birlikte oturmayı teklif ettim. Bir şey söylemeden uzun uzun baktı bana. Sonra yumuşak bir sesle "Olmaz," dedi. Onu bara bıraktım, çıkmadan önce eline bir içki tutuşturdum. Bir ambalaj fabrikasında iş buldum.Hafta öyle geçti. Dışarı çıkamayacak kadar yorgun oluyordum, ama Cuma gecesi Batı Yakası’na gittim. Oturup Cass’ı bekledim. Saatler geçti. Barmen yanıma geldiğinde sarhoş olmak üzereydim. "Kız arkadaşın için üzüldüm," dedi.

"Neden?"

"Özür dilerim. Haberin yok mu?"

"İntihar. Dün gömdüler."

"Gömdüler mi?" Her an kapıdan girecekmiş gibi bir his vardı içimde. İnanamıyordum.

"Kızkardeşleri kaldırdı cenazesini."

"Nasıl?"

"Gırtlağını kesmiş."

"Anlıyorum. İçkimi tazele."

Kapanış saatine kadar içtim. Cass. Beş kızkardeşinin en güzeli. Kasabanın en güzel kızı. Arabayı eve sürerken düşünüyordum. "Hayır," dediğinde üstelemeliydim. istemişti beni, şüphe yoktu. Tembel, ilgisiz, bencilce davranmıştım. İkimizin de ölümünü haketmiştim. Köpeğin tekiydim. Hayır, köpeklerin ne günahı vardı? Evde bir şişe şarap buldum, içtim. Cass, kasabanın en güzel kızı yirmisinde öldü.

Dışarda götün teki klaksonuna basıp duruyordu. Israrla. Şişeyi fırlatıp avazım çıktığı kadar bağırdım. "ALLAHIN CEZASI OROSPU ÇOCUĞU! KES ARTIK!"

Gece üstüme üstüme geliyordu ve yapabileceğim hiç bir şey yoktu.

Charles Bukowski

Çeviri: Avi Pardo


Photo by Michał Tokarczuk

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder