11 Eylül 2015 Cuma

The Road Back / Erich Maria Remarque

"Morning comes. I go to my class. There sit the little ones with folded arms. In their eyes is still all the shy astonishment of the childish years. They look up at me so trustingly, so believingly – and suddenly I get a spasm over the heart.

Here I stand before you, one of the hundreds of thousands of bankrupt men in whom the war destroyed every belief and almost every strength. Here I stand before you, and see how much more alive, how much more rooted in life you are than I. Here I stand and must now be your teacher and guide. What should I teach you? Shall I tell you that in twenty years you will be dried-up and crippled, your freest impulses maimed and pressed mercilessly into the selfsame mold? Should I tell you that all learning, all culture, all science is nothing but hideous mockery, so long as mankind makes war in the name of God and humanity with gas, iron, explosive and fire? What should I teach you then, you little creatures who alone have remained unspotted by the terrible years?

What am I able to teach you then? Should I tell you how to pull the string of a hand grenade, how to best throw it at a human being? Should I show you how to stab a man with a bayonet, how to fell him with a club, how to slaughter him with a spade? Should I demonstrate how best to aim a rifle at such an incomprehensible miracle as a breathing breast, a living heart? Should I explain to you what tetanus is, what a broken spine is, and what a shattered skull? Should I mimic how a man with a stomach wound will groan, how one with a lung wound gurgles and one with a head wound whistles? More I do not know. More I have not learned.

Should I take you to the brown-and-green map there, move my finger across it and tell you that here love was murdered? Should I explain to you that the books you hold in your hands are but nets with which men design to snare your simple souls, to entangle you in the undergrowth of fine phrases and the barbed wire of falsified ideas?

I stand here before you, a polluted, a guilty man and can only implore you ever to remain as you are, never to suffer the bright light of your childhood to be misused as a blow flame of hate. About your brows still blows the breath of innocence. How then should I presume to teach you? Behind me, still pursuing, are the bloody years. How then can I venture among you? Must I not first become a child again myself?

I feel a cramp begin to spread through me, as if I were turning to stone, as if I were crumbling away. I lower myself slowly into the chair and realize that I cannot stay here any longer. I try to take hold of something but cannot. Then after a time that has seemed to me endless, the catalepsy relaxes. I stand up. "Children," I say with difficulty, "you may go now. There will be no school today.""

Erich Maria Remarque - (The Road Back, 1931)

Translated by Arthur Wesley Wheen





"Llega la mañana. Voy a mi clase. Ahí se sientan los pequeños con los brazos cruzados. En sus ojos todavía está el tímido asombro de sus años infantiles. Me miran con tanta confianza, con absoluta credibilidad; de repente siento un espasmo en el corazón.

Aquí estoy ante ustedes, uno de los cientos de miles de hombres arruinados a los que la guerra destruyó toda creencia y casi todas las fuerzas. Aquí estoy ante ustedes, y veo cuánto más vivos, cuánto más arraigados en la vida están ustedes que yo... ¿Les diré que en veinte años ustedes estarán resecos y paralizados, sus impulsos más espontáneos estarán atrofiados y comprimidos sin piedad dentro del mismísimo molde? ¿Debería decirles que todo aprendizaje, toda cultura, toda ciencia es nada más que una repugnante burla, siempre y cuando el género humano haga la guerra en nombre de Dios y la humanidad con gas, hierro, explosivos y fuego? ¿Qué debo enseñarles entonces, pequeñas criaturas que son las únicas que han quedado sin mancha durante los años terribles?

[...] ¿Debo decirles cómo quitar el seguro de una granada de mano, cómo lanzarla mejor a un ser humano? ¿Debo mostrarles cómo apuñalar a un hombre con una bayoneta...? ¿Debo demostrarles cómo apuntar mejor con un rifle hacia un corazón vivo, ese incomprensible milagro del pecho que respira?

Parado ante ustedes, un hombre culpable, contaminado, que solo puede implorarles que siempre permanezcan como son, nunca permitan que se abuse de la luz radiante de su infancia para encender una llama de odio. En sus frentes todavía sopla el aliento de la inocencia. ¿Cómo entonces debo presumir enseñarles? Detrás de mí, todavía persiguiéndome, están los años sangrientos. ¿Cómo puedo entonces aventurarme entre ustedes? ¿No debo convertirme primero en niño otra vez?

Siento un calambre que se extiende en todo mi ser, como si fuera a convertirme en piedra, como si fuera a desmoronarme... «Niños —les digo con dificultad— ya se pueden ir. Hoy no habrá clases»."

Erich Maria Remarque - (El camino de la vuelta, 1931)

Traducción de Raúl Serradell





"Sabah oluyor. Sınıfıma gidiyorum. Ellerini kavuşturmuş küçükler sıralarına oturmuşlar. İri iri gözlerinde çocukluk yıllarının o ürkek şaşkınlığı henüz duruyor. Bana öyle güvenle ve inanarak bakıyorlar ki! Kalbim tıkanacakmış gibi oluyor birden.

Sıfırı tüketmiş yüz binden bir tanesi olan ben, bütün inançlarını ve hemen bütün güçlerini savaşın parçaladığı yüz binden biri olan ben, burada sizlerin önünde dikiliyor ve sizlerin hayata benden çok daha bağlı, benden çok daha canlı olduğunuzu görüyorum. Burada sizlerin önünde duruyorum. Sizlere öğretmenlik ve yol göstericilik yapmam gerekiyor.

Ne öğreteyim sizlere? Yirmi yaşında içinizin boşalıp kavruk kalacağınızı, gelişmenizin en verimli çağında mahvolacağınızı ve acımasızca sıra malı olmaya zorlanacağınızı mı söyleyeyim?

İnsanlar Tanrı ve insanlık adına zehirli gaz, demir, barut ve ateşle birbirlerini boğazladıkça bütün öğrenim ve kültürün, bütün bilimlerin acı bir alaydan başka bir şey olmadığını mı anlatayım? Sizlere, bütün bu korkunç yıllarda temiz kalmış küçük yaratıklara ne öğretebilirim ben?

Ben sizlere ne öğretebilirim? El bombasının nasıl yakalanıp çekileceğini ve insanlara nasıl fırlatılacağını mı öğreteyim? Bir insanın nasıl süngüleneceğini mi, kürekle nasıl ikiye bölüneceğini mi göstereyim? Soluk alan göğüs, hayat taşan bir akciğer ve bir kalp gibi esrarlı mucizelere karşı bir namlunun nasıl doğrultulacağını mı anlatayım? Yoksa tetanosla nasıl kazık gibi olunacağını, parçalanmış bir bel kemiğinin ya da kafatasının ne hal alacağını mı anlatayım? Çevreye saçılan bir beynin, parçalanan kemiklerin ve dışarıya fırlayan bağırsakların görünüşünü mü anlatmalıyım sizlere? Yoksa karnından vurulanın nasıl inlediğini, ciğerden kurşun yiyenin nasıl da hırıltılı sesler çıkardığını ve başından yara alanın nasıl ıslık çalar gibi haykırdığını mı canlandırayım? Daha başka şeyler bilmiyorum. Daha fazlasını öğrenemedim.

Bütün içerimin katılaştığını, taş kesilip sonra da küçük küçük parçalara ayrılacakmış gibi olduğunu sanıyorum. Ağır ağır sandalyeye bırakıyorum kendimi ve burada daha fazla kalamayacağımı kavrıyorum. Kendimi biraz olsun toplamaya çalışıyorum; ama beceremiyorum. Hiç bitmeyecekmiş gibi uzun gelen bir zaman sonra biraz açılıyorum. Ayağa kalkıyorum ve güçlükle:

"Çocuklar!" diyorum, "Evlerinize gidin. Bugün okul yok.""

Erich Maria Remarque - (Dönüş Yolu, 1931)

Çeviri: Burhan Arpad / Everest Yayınları

British children sit outside the remains of their home.
London, England. September 1940.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder